Thursday, May 10, 2012

My Political View On Gay Marriage

For centuries, possibly thousands of years and for the overwhelming majority of civilization,  marriage has been defined as a life long commitment between a man and a woman.  That is the historical definition.  Let us not quibble over it but rather accept the reality of what is.  If two people of the same sex wish to emulate this covenant then modern society faces the prospect to defining the arrangement.  We could.  A. expand the traditional definition of marriage or B. call it something else altogether.  In most cases we add a designation or class to marriage by calling it "gay marriage" and thereby create a hybrid of the two options.  To me creating this hybrid does not redefine the basic term "marriage" meaning between a man and a woman.

My marriage is sanctified by my Christian faith not what my government tells me.  If tomorrow I were to receive a letter from the government either state or federal saying that my marriage certificate was void, I would consider myself no less married than I was the day before.  I made my commitment before my wife and God and would continue to honor it to the best of my ability for the rest of my life.  With that said, my government presently chooses to recognize that commitment and offer me the benefits of a civil contract or union with my spouse.  This allows us to define combined property rights and the ability for us to be of one voice on in legal matters.

Regardless of one's position on whether homosexuality is right or wrong morally, I can see no reasoned objection as to why our government should prevent others from entering into a similar civil contract. If we as Christians are offended by the use of the term "marriage" then I recommend it be called something else by the government such as a civil union.  Some argue that America is a Christian nation and that it should not condone the use of civil unions.  To them, I would say first I'm glad that we are a Christian nation and second I'm also glad that our government does not pick and choose the denomination for us.   The idea that our government can dictate our morality is fine and dandy for some because they live in a present majority.  What if we, as Christians, no longer had that majority?  I would not want to live under a government that would force a different morality on me.


1 comment:

  1. You are right in that a government shouldn't be in the marriage business. The problem is the concept of marriage is central to our faith. To redefine it affects us all and it sullies the beautiful picture of Christ's relationship to His bride. We live in a culture in which all that matters is feelings. Post-modernism will destroy our nation in the next generation if we don't start preaching the Gospel individually and corporately. Politics can't change a heart.

    ReplyDelete